Finding the Right Doctor or Motor Specialist
What kind of doctor should I be seeing? Many movement disorder patients recommend working with a movement disorders specialist. This is a neurologist who has taken additional training in diseases that affect primarily physical movement, such as Essential Tremor. Whereas a general neurologist may treat patients with any of more than 100 neurological conditions, a movement disorders specialist focuses on a handful of disorders. Specialists also often are affiliated with reputable universities or teaching hospitals.
How do I find a good movement disorders specialist? It's a lot like hunting for a good dentist or a good mechanic: You need to ask around. Your primary care doctor may be able to give you a referral. If you attend a support group, ask other disorder patients. You can also post requests on Internet bulletin board sites. But remember that the Internet should only serve as a starting point for your research and education, not your only source of information, since it is so often difficult to source and verify the advice you find there.
The Duties of a Neurologist Understanding Different Neurological Specialties
Neurologists have different duties which may vary a great deal according to the area they specialize in. There are a few different areas which a neurologist may specialize in such as: surgical, clinical, or research-based. Regardless of specialty, all neurologists must diagnose, treat, and monitor nervous system disorders.
- Research neurologists
- Surgical neurologists
- Clinical neurologists
Always use your visit with the doctor wisely and ask questions.
No question should be embarrassing. Your questions may also help other patients. Always discuss other health problem with your neurologist.
Make a list over time and take it with you to your doctors visit.
- How can I reduce or stop some of my medications?
- Are the supplements I take helping or interfering with my Essential Tremor medications?
- What about exercise?
- Am I up to date on the newest medications & treatments for Essential Tremor?
- Does my other medications interfere with my Essential Tremor?
- Do certain food interfere with my Essential Tremor medications?
- Concerns of living with Essential Tremor?
- How fast is my Essential Tremor progressing?
- What else could I be doing to stay healthy?